Hello Cal Fans...August brings more great Aquatics news.
Congratulations to Teri McKeever, who was named head women’s coach for the Pan-Pacific Championships. Current Bear Caitlin Leverenz, and former Bears Dana Vollmer, Madison Kennedy, and Natalie Coughlin all qualified to swim at Pan-Pacifics by placing first or second in their events at the 2010 ConocoPhillips US National Championships. Many other current Bears swam well at US Nationals…click here to read more.
Congrats also to Dave Durden, who was named assistant coach for the Pan-Pacific Championships, and current Bear Nathan Adrian, who will join the Bears listed above on the US Pan Pacific team. Nathan won both the 50 and 100 freestyles at Nationals; his times were the second fastest in the world this year. To read more about Nathan and Dave, and to see the results of other Bear swimmers, click here.
California Swimming & Diving announces the hire of diving coach Tom Mulzet, Head Coach, Junior Olympic Diving Team, Cougar Diving Club, Houston, TX. To read more about Tom, click here.
It was Bears against Bears last weekend at the 2010 USA Water Polo National Championships. The New York Athletic Club, led by former Bear Jeff Tyrell, defeated the SF Olympic Club—a team which included former Bears Michael Sharf, Sean Nolan, Spencer Warden, Mark Sheredy, Frank Reynolds, Kevin Platshon, Adam Haley, Brian Bacharach and Zac Monsees. The Lamorinda A squad, which includes nine current Bears, placed third in the tournament. Click here to read more.
The Association of Collegiate Water Polo coaches announced that California sophomore standout Emily Csikos was named a 2010 first-team All-American; senior captain Camille Hewko third-team All-American; and sophomore goalie Stephanie Peckham, senior two-meter Stephanie Schnugg, and senior driver Meghan Corso honorable mention All-Americans. Click here to read more.
Top Ten Reasons to come to the Aquatics Gala & Homecoming Weekend:
Please call Alicia Rowell for information or to purchase tickets: 510/643-2746.
10. Hotel Durant has reserved a discounted block of rooms for us: You will sleep right above Henry’s.
9. Old teammates and friends will be in cocktail attire—NOT a bathing suit.
8. We are re-creating Spieker Aquatic Center inside our Gala tent. You’ve gotta see this.
7. Kirk, Teri, Rich, Dave, Nort, Karl.
6. A beer at the Bear’s Lair.
5. A latté at Café Milano.
4. The Aquatics tailgate starts at 9am on Saturday—who but swimmers and water polo players would start a party that early in the morning?
3. Cal plays Colorado in football. When’s the last time you yelled “Go Bears” in a crowd of 60,000?
2. Alums can order pre-game field passes and bring their kids on the Memorial Stadium field to watch warm-ups.
1. To support the amazing teams we currently have swimming and playing here at Cal, and to celebrate the successes of our past teams. Please come!
Your Aquatics teams value and need your support. Please consider a gift to our annual fund, all of which goes to support our Aquatics teams’ annual operating budgets, including team travel, scholarships, and equipment. You may give by calling Alicia Rowell and using a credit card (phone number below), by sending a check (made to UC Regents, Aquatics on the memo line; address below), or by clicking the link, below. Thank you very much and GO BEARS!
CLICK HERE TO DONATE
Director of Development, Aquatics
Major Gifts, Athletics
University of California
195 Haas Pavilion
Berkeley, CA 94720-4422
(510) 643-2746 (phone)
(510) 289-2860 (cell)
(510) 642-9410 (fax)
Have you given to Cal Aquatics this year?
If not, please click here!